Solo Trip at Angkor Wat, Siem Reap: Unexpected Experiences

Yeah, here I come with another solo trip. This time, my destination was Siem Reap, Cambodia. What was the site I visited there? What else? Of course Angkor Wat Complex. Here I tell you a story of my solo trip in Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia.


Note: As my English not so good, thanking you in advance for your understanding..

Biggest Temple Complex In The World

In my country, Indonesia, there are many temples either Buddha temples or Hindus temples. The two of great Indonesian temples are Borobudur (Buddha) and Prambanan (Hindus), many people going there. Me? Absolutely, I was checking in there (lol). But still, I was really curious about the biggest temple complex, why? Don’t ask why because you never know what it feels like till you’ve done a temple trip. Trust me, temple trip never fail! I was surprised when I was getting info from the internet, Angkor Wat is in first rank destination in Asia (mid of 2015). Knowing that info, I decided to go there soon. Thank God Cambodia is ASEAN country, so I don’t need a lot of preparation to do the Angkor Wat trip. Yeah, finally I put my leg in Cambodia land after starting from Jakarta (my hometown) to Bandung by train, continuing Bandung to Kuala Lumpur by plane, staying a night there, then flying to Siem Reap from Kuala Lumpur. I realized that Angkor Wat is really the biggest temple complex in the world after I’ve done Angkor Wat one day tour.

Siem Reap International Airport

Siem Reap Int'l Airport Interior

Reflection


Here comes the sun

My vision

Angkor Wat backyard


Monks

Angkor Wat main track

The corridor


Taken by beautiful Korean solo traveler

Praying spot

Little stupas


Bayon Temple

Bayon Temple's peak

Awesome track


The King's face

Me in Siem Reap

Transport for the rich


Angkor Wat landscape

How small I am

The power of solo traveler

The crowd

Similar with Borobudur

When the sun higher


Elephant riding

The bridge

Selfie in traffic


Ta Keo Temple: beautiful but bad luck

Cambodian carving

Featuring China Gov't


So high, could you spot people below?

The gate

Nice track view


Srah Srang Pool (more like a lake)

Mr. Sam left before pic completely taken

Smallest one: Prasat Kravan

Unexpected Experiences

Dehydrated. Yap, Siem Reap is hot, dry and dusty, especially in summer. The level of these conditions are in higher level than my country. I have to drink 6-8 litres of water a day and an Estonian told me that she has to take 8-10 litres, wow..
Sleeping in box. Kind of new experience to sleep in a box. I booked a box in Boutique Dormitory Kochi-ke. Clean, chill, tidy, simple, and of course japanese style.
Feel homey even not in the place I stay. Being invited to a new place is interesting, but how if you don’t know where is it, to whom the place belongs, and don’t know what will happen to you. Not a big deal for me, I just asked to the host to send me a maps and go. Arrived, we introduced each other and chit chat, then continued with Turkish style dinner, how can’t I call it’s not feel homey? Yeah, I felt it in Traveller Cat Guesthouse.
Dinner with people I don't know before. How lucky I am to be invited by someone I don't know before then meet new people and dinner with them. FYI, I am the only one Asian there.
Alone. Yap, it’s one of risks if you do solo trip. But, I’d take the risk anyway.
Sad story. My Tuktuk driver, Mr. Samnang, told his life story and the country. I learned that the King has no power like the Prime Minister and the people of Cambodia is still under Civil War trauma.
Poverty. Look around the city, you can see the poverty in your eyes. You’ll see it by how people there lives. If you take a look on temple signages, you can see that the temple was rebuilt with foreign help and fund.
History. Long history of Cambodia from the 12th century when the temples was built until present when the temples become a touristic site and UNESCO world heritage, from the Civil War until a prime minister leads Cambodian people.
Temples. Cambodian temples are unique. Sometimes similar with temples in other countries but still unique.
Beloved people. Tuk-tuk drivers (Mr. Heng and Mr. Samnang), dormitory worker, Traveller Cat Guesthouse people (especially Merve for inviting me then cooking for us and also Monica for sharing things with me), silk seller, food seller, all of you will be in my memory as beloved people.
Light spicy food. Comparing with Indonesian food, I think Cambodian food is lighter. For me, it’s okay but still I prefer Indonesian food, but I love the pork satay/kebab anyway.
Fasting. No dollars, no problem, I had to fast in my last night in Siem Reap. With last 7 USD in my pocket and 5 USD to be used for transport dormitory-airport, the rest only 2 USD, I cannot buy food. I passed a night without food.
Sick. Maybe due to fasting, I got sick there. Another new experience in my travel journals because I never get sick during a trip. Thanks to my mum who remind and push me to bring some medecines, if not, it could be getting worse.
Good coffee and bread. Cambodia have a good coffee and bread, don’t miss it when you do a trip in Cambodia, cheap but taste good.
Tired. That’s consequence of traveling. Here, in Siem Reap, I can’t feel my leg after finish the Angkor Wat trip.
Nice silks. Hand made Cambodian silk (2x2 meters) for only 19 USD, it’s nice. No, it’s very very nice. Thanks to a girl who gave me a good deal (shake hand), unfortunately I didn’t bring dollars a lot.
Useless money changer. This one is bad experience. We cannot exchange rupiahs and ringgits there, that’s why I cannot buy more souvenirs and I had a night there with starving (fasting).
Meet old friend (high school). This one really unexpected experience, meet your high school friend accidentally in a place very far from your country? I did it, and you know what? We had same flight from Siem Reap to KualaLumpur, wow.. See you in another place and another time Rahma..
Nice views. Even hot, dry and dusty, Siem Reap is still a good place to see nice views. Sunrise, dusty road, dry forest, and the others.
Excited. From start to finish, I always feel excited to see, to learn, to hear, to do whatever it is in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Happy. Yeah, I am very happy I can visit Angkor Wat complex and feel Siem Reap atmosphere.
Grateful. Thank God for everything, thanks to my family (especially my mum) to let me do an overseas solo trip, thanks to AirAsia for cheap flights, thanks to Danu for Xiaomay (his Xiaomi Yi’s name), thanks to my office to let me take 4 days leave, thanks to beloved people in Cambodia, thanks to other tourist who gave me their hands to take pictures and all that I cannot attach here so I can finish my 9 days solo trip (Jakarta-Bandung-KualaLumpur-Siem Reap-Medan).
Amazing. Solo trip always amazing..!!

Amok Fish and Cambodian Coffee Milk 

Pub Street

Psar Chaa (Old Market)


Local food

Pork satay/kebab

Luk-lak

Cheap baguettes


Hot, dry and dusty

An international school in Siem Reap

Traveller Cat Guesthouse people


Traditional music played by difables

Different trees in a life

Bicycling here need good stuffs

Bracelet from priest

Cambodian carving

Cave (box) for 2 nights

Meet Rahma (old friend)

Sweetmeats

Dirty doggies T_T

Groceries





Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia is one of top experiences in Asia. So, what are you waiting for? Just go there.. Where to go? wherever it is (in Bahasa Indonesia: Mau kemana? kemana aja boleh)





Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Goa Maria Sendang Retno Adi

Think Eco! Go Green! at Eco Green Park

Cabaret Show at Mirota/Hamzah Batik - Malioboro